UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I want to ask about intellectual property law, cambridge uk,

Hello I want to ask about intellectual property law
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: cambridge uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have had a lot of messages from a company claim that I copied their designs. I asked for the evidence but they gave me a screenshot of dropbox contained their designs. Today, I told them I have contacted a solicitor and I would not do anything until they consult me. Instead of understanding, they threat me to take me to the court and take all the profit from me if I dont take designs that they think they are copied
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I used to contact them before as I wanted to trade with them but they declined. I after that found another company which sell a lot of nice cards so I work with them. but now they said that was the evidence that I copied their cards

I am a solicitor.

Did you copy their cards/work?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I bought these cards from a company in Vietnam.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (112Q1PM)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
This is one of the card they said it looked exactly like their designs. I am not an expert. I don’t know whether they bully me or not. I am just a trader, I see the Vietnam company have many products that I like so I bought them. Also, I have seen some other designs from the company who accused me of copying are on AliExpress.

If you bought the cards from a Vietnamese company, then you did not breach their copyright, you should explain that you simply purchased the cards from the Vietnamese company and they should go after this company, not you.

All the best

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
they claim 10 designs that I copied them. One of them that I did ask the Vietnamese company redesign for me. Basically, I did have inspiration from one of their cards. the new design looks different. My question is if that also counts that I copied them. Otherwise, I had never seen their other cards before until they contacted me and sent me the pictures of them.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Another thing, can a dropbox file prove that they designed the cards or everyone can make a dropbox file and claims that the design is theirs
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
As I said, I dont know whether they are bullying me or not
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
They also want me to take down all the designs that they think I copied without sending me the sufficient evidence that they designed. do you think I should take them down or wait for their cease and desist letter?

I am afraid I am not familiar with dropbox and how it works so I cannot comment on that aspect. If you did not substantially copy their card, then you are fine, and you may ignore them and see if they go to court. If they do, you may defend any court proceedings. You should wait for their cease and desist letter.

All the best

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you so much. what should I do after I receive cease and desist letter? I want to have a solicitor incase they take me to the court. Can you recommend me?

You may try https://www.jmw.co.uk/services-for-you/intellectual-property-solicitors/defence-against-accusations-intellectual-property-infringement

Your solicitors would respond to the C&D letter on your behalf.

All the best

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
thank you so much. and one of the design got inspired from one of their card. is that counted copying?

Yes, it could be deemed to be copying if it is substantially similar to their work and a member of the public mistakes your card for theirs.

All the best

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Do you think this one is infringement? I just want to know your opinion. Thank you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
This is also the card they said I copied them.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sorry for asking again. did you advise me to take them down now or wait for the cease and desist letter? There are so many things in my mind….

You may take them down as to me, they appear similar.

All the best