AkuaK
AkuaK,
Experience:  Expert
109603637

I have a Greek passport. I lived and worked in the UK

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: Hello. I have a Greek passport. I lived and worked in the UK between 1999 and 2006 before moving to another country. I still 2 properties in the UK and pay tax to the inland revenue. Am I able to return to live in my properties in the UK in the future? I do not have a UK passport?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I hold and Australian and Greek passport. I have not filled any paper work with the UK govt. I currently live in Qatar. But I am an Australian and Greek citizen.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My wife and I both have National insurance numbers and pay tax. We both hold UK drivers licences.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Please understand this is a Brexit question. My wife and I do not have any immediate plans to live in the UK. But in the event we wish to live in one of our properties in Manchester in the future (both are being rented to tenants at moment), we want to know if it's possible? Should we wait until that day arrives OR apply now for the EU Settlement Scheme?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
My wife and I also have 3 young children. These children were not born in the UK and unlike us, they have never lived in the UK.

Good evening, you would have to have the intention to live in U.K. to apply under the Eu settlement scheme also to obtain pre settled status you would need to show you were resident in 2020.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok. So just to be 100% clear:
1) We do not qualify for the EU Settlement Scheme because we currently do not reside in the UK?
2) Obtaining the right to live in the UK is not something you can apply for in the hope that perhaps one day you might use it in the future (which is exactly the situattion we are in).In the event we do wish to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme in the future (after 30th June 2021), do you think my wife and I have a strong case since we lived there for 7 years in the early 2000's AND still pay taxes in the UK?Is the EU Settlement Scheme our only way of getting back into the UK? Is there another route?Thank you

There are other routes such as skilled work visa if you obtain sponsorship from company, start up visa or innovator. In regards ***** ***** settlement scheme we currently do not know whether after 30 June there will be an extension.