How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 19445
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

A debt company (uk search ltd) has been in contact saying I

This answer was rated:

Hi, a debt company (uk search ltd) has been in contact saying I owe them money for a debt belonging to affinity water. I have never had a contract with affinity water and im living in rented property. water is included with cost of rent. I have called affinity water and they have confirmed I dont owe them anything. Whats my options?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: im in the uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have complained and also disputed the charges but I find it highly unethical and would like to press private charges if possible
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I was only made aware of the debt over the phone when I was calling on my flatmates behalf...they said the debt was tied to my name...they also said they got my details from affinity water

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

If you need to contact customer services you can do so by calling free on: 0808(###) ###-####or by email: *****@******.***

You may get a request offering you a telephone call. I am more than happy to do this for you but please note that this is a premium service and therefore attracts an additional charge. This charge is not instead of asking an online question but in addition to. You do not have to accept a telephone call and if you do not wish to have it, please do not click on the request for one. Should you do so then you will be charged for the call.

I will try and answer your question promptly, but as this is an online service there can be delays.

Don’t worry you do not have to wait here for an answer and you will get an email when I respond.

Now let me just take a look and your question and I will see if I can provide an answer for you.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Jamie-Law and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I imagine a company like this, gets this all the time... rather than going after the company, would I be able to privately prosecute the agents of UK Search Ltd who have misinformed me trying to deceive me into handing over money that I do not owe and can not owe.

Yes indeed. But you are entitled to significant compensation. I hope that helps

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you

My pleasure

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I think ive managed to get to the bottom of it! It appears Affinity Water passed on our details to UK Search Ltd...Affinity Water beleive this property is not a HMO...ive just checked the HMO registry for my local council and it is showing as a HMO property until 2024...looking at Affinity Water Terms ( they tried getting payment using section 4.1 items 1+2 but as this is a HMO we would fall under section 4.1 item 4 (its the landlord thats liable) . Would this make a difference to my claim or do I still need to send a "pre-action protocol letter of claim"? and should I now send this to both companies? Many thanks for your help.

Send it to both. I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

My pleasure