ChrisB4147
ChrisB4147,
Experience:  Expert
112350272

My mother went for a beauty treatment and the beauty

My mother went for a beauty treatment and the beauty therapist removed her necklace for the treatment. Mum left and realised that she didn’t have the necklace so she called them. They confirmed that it was found and mum agreed to come and collect it the next day. When she arrived she found just the gold chain the gold piece that came on the necklace was gone. The beauty therapist said that she had only found the necklace. The owner became involved, apologised and said that when the room was free he would pull out all of the machines to search himself. That was 6 days ago now. The jewellery in question has both sentimental value and is also worth money as it was specially made many years ago. Where do we stand now?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: just the above
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hi, thanks for the question.  I’m Chris and I’m a Solicitor. I will be happy to assist you and hope to provide a full response as quickly as possible.

This is a question and answer service rather than an instant chat service, and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can.

I’m sorry to hear about the situation you find yourself in.  Have you contacted the owner within the 6 days to chase them up?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No

Thanks for the phone call request, although I’m not able to take a call this evening. Can we discuss tomorrow?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I paid for this now as I will be very busy with work tomorrow

I can opt out for someone else to pick up if you prefer or we can continue in the chat function.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I don’t mind as long as I get the information I need

Thanks. We can continue here. I appreciate that you can’t put a value in the sentiment of the piece, but what would you say the value of the gold piece is?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hmm. It was handmade in 1996. 22 carat Irish gold. At the time it was £100
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Worth a lot more now I’d say

It sounds as though it would be worth more now. I only ask because if you sue them, the value will depend on the complexity of the court process. Anything under £10k (which this wild probably be) would be small claims which is much simpler to do.

The argument from your point of view is that you entrusted this company with the item. They had a duty of care to keep it safe and they didn’t. Therefore you could argue to them that they are negligent. There is also distress at losing a sentimental piece. The difficulty is quantifying it. If you say they need to compensate, you have to tell them the amount. If you sued them, you would have to prove to the court the value of the item. If you have photos etc then you could get someone in the industry to suggest a value.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
what would you advise?

Firstly chase the company. However, I can guess what their answer will be because they haven’t contacted you. Then send them a letter setting out your position (a letter before action) commenting on the points I make above about trust and negligence and provide them with proof of the item missing and a value. You ask them for that amount and see how they respond.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay and then what should I expect?

They’ll either put up a fight to pay nothing, try to come to a settlement or pay the full amount. If it’s the first one, you might then want to take it to court.

However, you have to remember that it is your case to prove at court.  You have to show that the gold piece was on there, that it was their fault it was lost and the value is what you say it is.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Mum has paid for further treatment with them. This would more than likely be uncomfortable for her if they refuse to pay up

I can imagine it would be.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Over £2000 of treatment

Maybe your mum would accept treatment in lieu of her loss?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She has already paid

I was thinking of further treatment beyond if she needed/wanted it.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you. Otherwise, thank you for using JustAnswer. All the best and hope the matter gets resolved.

If you’d like a refund for the cost of the call please contact customer support at www.justanswer.co.uk/help/contact-us