How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5404
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I currently rent a flat, I haven't been giving any notice to

This answer was rated:

Hi, I currently rent a flat, I haven't been giving any notice to say my tenancy agreement is no longer valid. This evening another family came to my premises looking to move in. They have now left but they also have keys to the premises me an my family stay in..
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have contacted connels by email but no response yet
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I had confirmation say my rent will be on a Monthly deal, an they will have to give me 6 months notice minimum.. an this was on the 18th May 2021

Good evening, welcome to just answer. I am a solicitor and reviewing your question now for you.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.

I am sorry to hear of your situation. Without being given the section 21 notice then you do not have to leave you can refuse. The notice period is now reduced to 4 months so if they want you to leave they will have to serve the section 21 notice giving 4 months and the earliest you will leave will be October 2021. Any eviction without this notice will be unlawful and they will not be able to enforce it or to take it to court. Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. Always glad to assist. All the best.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
How about the key situation.

They have obviously given them a spare key which compromises your security so they must either take them back from the other family or change all your locks at their cost. If you did change them yourself you must warn them and request reimbursment for the cost.

SolicitorRM and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your help.

You are welcome