How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 29193
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

My girlfriend kicked me out no problem but I'm owed 10k for

This answer was rated:

My girlfriend kicked me out no problem but I'm owed 10k for the deposit I lent her the garage is in my name but she pays for I need to surrender the garage to council
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Portsmouth
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I tried talking to her but she's blocked me on everything so no compromise
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We were to get her 7 years she owns the flat nearly 5 years we halved all the bills

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I am very sorry to read of the above and I imagine what a difficult position it must be. I will certainly try to clarify your options.

  1. may I clarify what garage you refer to in your question please?
  2. you refer to a deposit that you lent her in respect of this garage? What was this deposit for precisely?
  3. do you have evidence of the money that you lent her and do you have any written agreement as regards ***** ***** being a loan?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Deposit to buy the her flat. We rent a garage to store the car from the council under my name and she pays but I'm responsible for the garage, the mortgage broker but no paper work
  1. thank you. Apart from the deposit, did you contribute towards any capital repayments on the mortgage or improvements to the property?
  2. are you seeking a return of the deposit alone or return of the deposit plus interest or an equity stake in the property based upon the value of your original investment?
  3. do you have evidence to show that the payment was made such as a bank statement or something similar?

I'm following up on the above. Without some further information from you as above, I am limited in what I can say on the matter but in the hope it is helpful nonetheless, I will provide you with the following broad answer. If you are able to kindly provide me with the above further information or if you have any further questions generally, I will be delighted to expand on the following - please just reply back to me in this case:

Notwithstanding the above, in general terms from what you describe, your ex-partner will either owe you a return of the money that you loaned together with interest of interest was agreed, or in the event the money was invested into the property, then you could contemplate claiming an equity share in the property commensurate with the relative amounts each of you contributed to the property at the outset.

In other events, you would in the first instance attempt to negotiate a settlement with your ex-partner but in the event she is unwilling to do so, you would need to consider proposing in the first instance mediation and failing this, would need to issue proceedings either in the County Court as a claim for debt if you are seeking to recover the money as a loan or under section 14 of the trusts of land and appointment of trustees act if you are seeking an equity share in the property and potentially an order for sale

Joshua and other Law Specialists are ready to help you