How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2662
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

7 weeks ago i buy a car from person who sale this car as a

This answer was rated:

7 weeks ago i buy a car from person who sale this car as a trade seller, car was on private number plates but not included. the seller informed me that I had to wait 3-4 days for new documents and said that I could return to home to a registration that does not exist in the dvla system.Every time I contact the seller when I receive the documents, he replies that the dvla is a mess.After another warning yesterday, he sent me a reply email asking me to complete the v62 form and keep waiting.I only have a written purchase contract without registration number (my fault)What can I do? I will add that the money was paid into a private account despite the fact that he was selling the car as a business.please hrlp me we don't have extra money for another car but me and my wife needs two cars.she's a nurse in hospital and i'm working as a plant driver across East Sussex
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No.i spoke only with dvla. I'm from Poland.but from six years i live in UK in Eastbourne East Sussex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I call the salesperson every week.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Seller take this car from previous ovner as part exchange He told me that he couldn't give me a guarantee and he need to sell as spairs or repairs

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Hi there,

Hi there,

If you buy a new or used car from a dealer and experience problems with it, you have some statutory rights under the Consumer Rights Act

The Act states the car must be “of a satisfactory quality”, “fit for purpose” and “as described”. (For a used car, “satisfactory quality” takes into account the car’s age and mileage.)

If you have paid the money and have not received the car

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I checked the history of the car on private plates. Everything was right (mot and tax history). Unfortunately i trust to 5 star ratin on autotrader

documentation, then you can take action against the dealer.

So, there is no problem with the car, but having delays with getting it transferred to yourself?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I received a car with a set of keys and service history, I did not receive a v5c
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Dvla has no information about this. The car is still listed in the dvla on private plates database

When selling a vehicle, the buyer expect to see the V5C to let them check the vehicle’s details.

If the seller do not have the V5C, then seller will need to send a signed letter to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR, giving the vehicle's registration number, the make and model of the vehicle, the date the car was sold or transferred the vehicle and the name and address of the new keeper.

So, the seller should tell you what is going on with the V5C document.

Tell the seller, if you can not get the car transferred due to lack of V5C , then you have to reject the vehicle and ask for full refund .

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What if the license plates are changed from private to those that were mounted directly on the new car I have mounted boards on which he was registered as new in 2009
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Who is responsible for changing these plates and documents upon sale?

Under the consumer rights act, the car sold should be “of a satisfactory quality”, “fit for purpose” and “as described”.

If the change of the number plate was not informed at the time of the sale, then you can terminate the contract .

Alternatively if you wish to keep the vehicle, you can ask the seller to get it done and bear any cost related to it.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I I was informed that the plates are not sold together with the car, the plates I received do not exist within 7 weeks

If the seller informed you this at the time of the sale ?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
He said it takes 3-4 days and thats why i buy this car.

Make a formal written complaint to the seller via their internal complaint procedure, tell them if the requisite things are not done within 6 days then you would be returning the car and asking for the full refund back.

If the seller refuses to refund you, then you can claim back the cost via small claims proceedings.

Before approaching the court You need to send a letter before claim to the seller asking for the refund within 14 days of the letter.

If the trader still fails to refund your deposit, then you can start your court claim online using the below link-

You can use the below template letter for sending to the seller.

Please find below the template letter.

I hope this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.

Vineet S and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you

You are welcome. Best wishes.