INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I would appreciate it if you could help/advise me with a

Dear sir/madam
I would appreciate it if you could help/advise me with a situation I have with HSBC Card Services and my wife’s account. Following a letter regarding persistent debt under rules by the FCA suggesting she could apply for a loan subject to status.
basically my wife now aged 76 years was given a gold card with a credit limit of £3000 I believe to have been additional to my gold card in November 1994 but the bank say it was a standalone card My wife has had a basic state pension for the past 16 years and has never worked since we moved down to Dorset from Lincoln in 1987 so how would she have got a gold card on her own initiative.
Due to a road traffic accident I was unable to work and got into difficulties with my own card repayments and my card was suspended and eventually paid up, my wife’s however was left live.
Over a period of time her credit limit was increased gradually without any security checks as to her ability to pay to £11000.00 and after a nervous breakdown followed by severe depression my wife run up a dept on the card to the credit limit.
After finding out back in 2016 I stopped her using the card and have been paying for it ever since but always thought that the card should have been suspended at the same time mine was suspender. The card was still live up until I made the attached enquiry and was then suspended.
I note her account number changed around the time my card stopped i.e. (17/12/2006 card ending in 2031 15/01/2007 card ending in1438). Unfortunately I have no record of my account.
I am still waiting for the outcome of an investigation following her “Subject access request” (service failure memo) and to my email reply to Nicola MacLeod who initially responded to my inquiry as follows:-
Tue, 5 May 2020, 10:45FCX
Thank you for your letter about Mrs Turners Gold MasterCard. I hope I find you both well and thank you for providing an email address.Our records show that the account was opened on 1 November 1994. It is a standalone account and not a secondary card held on another account. By law we are only obliged to maintain records for six years, therefore I am unable to review the account opening information. However, as responsible lenders HSBC ensures that all customers pass affordability checks before agreeing any lending.I have emailed the relevant department regarding your subject access request; Mrs Turner will receive the requested information within the next 30 days.I appreciate this is not the outcome you were hoping for but trust you understand that lending criteria would have been mat at the time of opening.If you’d like to discuss this with me in any more detail, please feel free to reply to this email or call me on 03456 001207Dear Nicola MacLeod
My Reply Thu, 7 May 2020, 12:17Customer Reference: SR1308898215
Complaint Reference:(###) ###-####-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for getting back to me with regards ***** ***** wife’s Gold MasterCard.I strongly disagree that the bank ensured that my wife passed any affordability checks before granting her a Gold Card as she has not had any form of employment since we moved down to Dorset from Lincoln back in 1987.I know that I was contacted by the bank and was asked if I would like my wife to have an additional Gold Card to which I agreed. The card limit at the time of issue was £3000, every now & then there would be an increase on the card limit without any form of check, the limit at today’s date is £11.000.I still believe the card was in the first instance an additional card to my account and was probably made a standalone account when my account was closed.Yours sincerelyG R Turner
No reply received to dateI hope you can advise me on this matter.
Yours sincerely ********@******.***
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: christchurch dorset
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: email as enclosed but not received a reply to my response to hsbc reply
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: have received 60 days notice to contact card services

Thank you for your query. I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

What would you like to know about this?:

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi My wife's account in my opinion should not have been increased to £11000 limit I believe the card was granted on my status and that no security checks were ever made on my wife's financial status.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.

We have now spoken.

Good Luck!