How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 19441
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

The best route from my house to school is along a track that

This answer was rated:

The best route from my house to school is along a track that is not designated as a public footpath through land owned by the local sailing club. Members of the club have been known to challenge walkers. What rights do i have and what is my liability? Must I identify myself if challenged? Could the club prosecute becuase they have a sign "trespassers will be prosecuted" thank you Richard
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: in Hertfordshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none at all; thinking of walking to school next week
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

If you need to contact customer services you can do so by calling free on: 0808(###) ###-####or by email: *****@******.***

You may get a request offering you a telephone call. I am more than happy to do this for you but please note that this is a premium service and therefore attracts an additional charge. This charge is not instead of asking an online question but in addition to. You do not have to accept a telephone call and if you do not wish to have it, please do not click on the request for one. Should you do so then you will be charged for the call.

I will try and answer your question promptly, but as this is an online service there can be delays.

Don’t worry you do not have to wait here for an answer and you will get an email when I respond.

Now let me just take a look and your question and I will see if I can provide an answer for you.

Assuming they own the land as you say and there is no public right of way, then they can prosecute you.

they can ask for your name and address, but as a matter if kW unless they are a police officer, you do not have to give it.

i agree, it’s unreasonable not to let you walk on land which is privately owned. But they can ask you to stop and if you refuse the only way they can prevent you is to get a court order to stop you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
many thanks. so in essence if they cannot force me to identify myself, they cannot prosecute me, so the real risk is that they might turn nasty

Yes. And you would be entitled to significant compensation.

I hope that helps.

Jamie-Law and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
i'll try the walk next week and call for your assistance if needed! thanks

My pleasure