How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo W Your Own Question
Jo W
Jo W, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 91
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo W is online now

I am not happy with solicitor and want to represent myself

This answer was rated:

I am not happy with solicitor and want to represent myself in magistrate court against council for badge revocation
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is that possible and how can i do that... what would be negative side of it

Hello. My name is***** am a solicitor here to help you with your question. I will respond as soon as practicable which will be some time today.

Hello.  I am just checking that this relates to a Court in England and Wales, as this is what I can advise upon.

Yes, you can definitely represent yourself and many people do and the Courts are used to it.

You will need to decide from the case and papers so far what the most important message is you want to tell the Court.  I would make this your main focus.

YOu should also read the papers carefully and see if you have any questions or disagreements about what the other party has said.  NB,  you may not necessarily have to speak everything because the magistrate will have the papers and often says...."I see that on page X".

You will not be allowed to bring new evidence to the case, ie things which are not covered by the papers...BUT it's always worth trying to "add" to the papers.  It's a lot about trial and error about what the Court will allow.

To be honest, the Courts are generally sympathetic to unrepresented parties - they know you don't know everything and all the rules and as long as you are polite and helpful if you are asked questions answer them calmly this will go a long way.  You can almost use your status as unqualified as getting a sympathetic approach from the Court.

When you get to the Court, you need to find the place to check in to say you are there.   Another thing you can do is to arrive early and ask if you can go in and see another hearing, eg the one before, this gives you an idea of what will happen.  You can actually come and go in Courts very easily.

Whilst I don't know the nature of the hearing, I hope this general advice has been of help.  I am happy to clarify anything.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Great help.....
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Council revoked my badge because one of past friends made a false complaint against me which i dint know.... council sent me written interview which i filled and sent back to council... in tht interview there was no evidence given
So i had no aoption to appeal as council sent me revokation letter
Yesterday was primary hearing and i found out the complaint which was false from my past friend who is my enemy now
Plus council said they did not recieved my response to interview whereas i hv reciept and proof they recievef but i found it all yesterday from my solicitor before hearing
So then solicitor and council legal guy agreed two more weeks time to assess things and 29th again going back to court
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
To me my case looks easy as abc.... bcz its false complaint.... plus council recieved my paperwork but they r denying i hv tracking record of royal mail....
So why should i pay to solicitor who is not updating me even

At least you have some time to prepare for the next hearing.  Make sure you have the documents you want to rely upon.  Just be aware that if you have a solicitor who is on the Court record as acting for you then they will receive correpondence and documents.  That's something for you to decide whether you want to be represented or not.  I hope it goes well.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
first of all ishdtell court and other party tht im not with tht solicitor anymore so they shd write direct to me

Hello.  The solicitor who has been acting ought to advise the Court and the other party that they not instructed any more.  You need to tell all parties that there has been a change of representative.  You need to use a Court form for this. N34 which is found at the following:  This link explains clearly what you need to do.

I would also contact my solicitor and advise them you no longer want them to act and for them to forward any correspondence received to you..

I trust that this helps.

Jo W and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you