How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo W Your Own Question
Jo W
Jo W, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 94
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo W is online now

Can we get help in regards to a council tax bill problem,

This answer was rated:

Can we get help in regards ***** ***** council tax bill problem
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Peterborough but this is with walthamstow coucil
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have phone the council 3 times and have email the section of council that deal with the balifs we have contact the balifs them as well and have got no where
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We have been done out of £310.00

Hello. My name is***** am a solicitor here to help you with your question. I will respond as soon as practicable which will be some time today.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.

Hello.  I am working on the assumption that you have been overcharged Council Tax and now they have referred this to the bailiffs to come and collect, is that correct?

Has there been any correspondence about this sum in dispute?

I see you have requested a call, I can't do one right now I'm afraid  - I can set out my advice for you to see if you still require a call.  If you don't require a call this request can be cancelled at customer service.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I cannot pay £44 because I don't have it because I have been don out of £310 to day

Hi, that's okay, not a problem  You don't need to have the call.  You have paid approx £5 for which I can give you a written answer.

Are you able to answer my questions above, so that I can try to help.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.

If you answer my questions, I can respond to them now.   I will be going offline at some point around 5-6 pm.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My son who has mental health problem turned up on our door step begging us to put him because he had no where to go that was 18 months ago he also came with debts one of these was council tax bill. We had a letter from the balifs in regards ***** ***** to say that they are going collect the money from us. I Phoned the council and played the bill. The balifs still turned up to get the money that we played the council. I Phoned the council they said the balifs are the revenue part of the council you cannot phone them you have to email them I did that they sent a automatic reply and said that they would contact me within 10 days they did not reply email was sent 17 May 2021. To day a balifs came round and arrested my wife for £310 that he said was out standing to the council. MY Wife told if she did not to day he would clamp our car. He would not believe us that we had payed the council because the council faild to let them know. I phoned the council and they did not want to know and put the phone down on me. So wife had to pay the balifs £310 to day.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hello any one there

Thank you for that. What a mess and very upsetting when you think matters have been resolved and then they continue.  I'm afraid the simplest answer is going to be that you make a formal complaint because there are a number of things which seem wrong - bailiffs turning up when monies have been paid being very upsetting. ,

There are various options to complain but the best one, if you have not already done so is to complain in writing the Council and give them a set period to respond.  If they don't respond to that complaint then Council complaints are deal with by the local government ombudsman.  I have included some information below - such as complaining about Council Tax, plus the information to complain to the Ombudsman.   Any complaint is best to list out events in the order they happened and also include receipts or proof of payment.  There is no fast-track route to, for example, take them to Court because you are expected to exhaust all your avenues of complaint.

It's always important to try to keep copies of letters and documents - easier said than done I know.

I suspect this is not the answer you wanted to hear but there is not a quick legal fix to this, you'll need to exhaust your routes of complaint which are a) the Council and then b) The Ombudsman.  You should also check out what your Council's comp;aints policy is so that you know when they are required to reply.

I hope this has been of some help at least.  If not, do let me know.  - I have included this but I would suggest that you keep you complaint all focused on the Council.

Jo W and other Law Specialists are ready to help you