How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 19436
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I purchased a brand new Renault Traffic on Sat 22nd May. On

This answer was rated:

I purchased a brand new Renault Traffic on Sat 22nd May. On the Monday I travelled approximately 180 miles to do a job. On the Wednesday I noticed water underneath the engine. On Thursday I noticed a green coloured liquid which turned out to be coolant. The RAC concluded nothing and advised I take it back to Hendy Renault in Brighton where I purchased the vehicle. I was told on the Friday 28th May at 4.40pm it had a stone chipping damage to the radiator and repair cost was £741. During this time Hendy lent me the demonstrator van as I was going away to Yorkshire for half term. On returning home Monday 8th they demanded I return the vehicle as they needed it back putting pressure on me to get the radiator fixed. I refused and returned the demonstrator vehicle and filled the coolant tank up and took the van to my own personal mechanic who would replace saving me £170. When I picked up the Renault traffic from Hendy I noticed the engine management light was on and the mileage was on 400 miles. My mechanic repaired the radiator but the engine management light was still on showing a pollution problem and injection problem. The red light was on telling me to stop the vehicle due to engine failure. I informed Hendy this evening and the reply from the service manager was quite unresponsive, questioning that the radiator had no water coolant in it. The coolant was topped up by my mechanic. He then couldn't explain the reason and offered no more help. I don't know what to do. This is a £30000 vehicle with problems i can not believe.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have taken no further steps but to contact you.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

If you need to contact customer services you can do so by calling free on: 0808(###) ###-####or by email: *****@******.***

You may get a request offering you a telephone call. I am more than happy to do this for you but please note that this is a premium service and therefore attracts an additional charge. This charge is not instead of asking an online question but in addition to. You do not have to accept a telephone call and if you do not wish to have it, please do not click on the request for one. Should you do so then you will be charged for the call.

I will try and answer your question promptly, but as this is an online service there can be delays.

Don’t worry you do not have to wait here for an answer and you will get an email when I respond.

Now let me just take a look and your question and I will see if I can provide an answer for you.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

The consumer rights act 2015 gives you a short term right to reject, ie within 30 days. So you can reject it and get a refund.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Am I liable to cover any costs for the issues with the van ? The company obviously told me the cost of radiator was not under warranty. If anything else is wrong am I liable to pay for other issues to the vehicle.?

Yes, any issues you can claim that back.

I hope that helps/

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you