Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I hope you are well. Can you please advise me what would be

Hi, I hope you are well.
Can you please advise me what would be the best way to incorporate to protect my assets for E-commerce business.
1. I create tutorial/books/course content - should I open LTD1 that will own the content and brand name and license it to LTD2 or not ?
2. For online retail- selling goods on various platforms should I have one LTD or separate one for each platform? In other words- can I have 1LTD and 1 bank account for selling on 4 different platforms, different goods?What would be the best way to proceed in both cases.Thank you

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

1. May I ask if you have identified a particular risk factor in the business which you wish to protect yourself against please? i.e. are you particularly concerned or the risk of potential claims against the business from a particular source?
  2. what assets do you envisage the business would own day-to-day?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Good Morning, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. The assets would be training programs, content (books, videos, images), and the brand name. Risk factors such as the client's claim the company has made a mistake or has been negligent or offered poor advice. Or colleague stealing the content and opening another firm,etc

thank you. Businesses tend to deal with matters such as the above in one of two main ways. First is that you simply proceed on the basis of one limited company and maintain indemnity insurance in respect of any potential claims. A limited company by its nature protects you in that it limits in almost all cases, claims to the assets of the company rather than your own personal assets. Indemnity insurance is capable of covering most other forms of risk.

However, some businesses, particularly where that business owns significant assets, will decide to operate by using a holding company to hold the assets of the business and then one or more trading companies to actually operate and transact the business of the business. The benefit of this is that it means that even where there is a successful claim against the trading business which for some reason is not covered by indemnity insurance, that claim would be limited to the assets of that trading company and not the assets of the holding company. Downsides mean that you potentially are operating and paying the costs of operating to different companies though the holding company can potentially remain dormant if it is not transacting business