12826847

Ellen I hope you are doing fine. I do have a question. ON

Hi Ellen I hope you are doing fine. I do have a question. ON Sunday, I left my dog to my friend because me and my boyfriend wanted to go to Thorpe park. My friend called me that unfortunately, his housemate left the front doors open and my dog ran to the road and got hit by a car. Now, ghe dog is fine, but the driver is asking me (or whoever is responsible) to pay the damage (1286 pounds) I would like to know, who is to blame in this kind of situation? Because my friend is telling me even though I was not there when it happened it is still me as I am the owner
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Bishop's stortford, england
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The driver did not want to go through insurance, he asked us (me and my friend) to pay him 500 pounds as a potentional damage to the car, to which I agreed and I forwarded him 500 pounds straight away. We changed numbers in case police stops him (his bonnet blew due to the beaking) and on moyday he went to the mechanic to order new parts but the car had some other problem and now he forwarded me the bill of 1286 pounds to pay
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The only thing is that after paying those 500 pounds I agreed that he will see the mechanic and let me know, but first he told me the fault is the bonnet and the sensor which stopped the car (driver said he did not see my dog crossing the road) but now there is electric failure and some problem with stering wheel also

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Jo C, nice to meet you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
do you want to go through the matter again?

Thanksfor the information

The driverdoes have a claim against your friend.

However, hewould have to reduce the award to take into account his contributorynegligence. Shortly stated, your dogshouldn’t have been in the road but then he should have braked.

He doesn’treally have a claim against you though unless you left him with somebody whollyirresponsible and unsuitable.

Also, thereis no way he caused this amount of damage to his vehicle without there being anyinjuries to your dog.

Can Iclarify anything for you?

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a waythat is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will bemore than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once againfor using our services.