Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I look for advice, i have a problem collecting the money

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: i look for advice, i have a problem collecting the money from the client
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Palmers Green
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: i haven’t filed any paperwork yet, i live in uk, nationality greek
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: not yet, I’m looking for advice
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i have all the evidences

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Please explain the situation in some more detail and please also tell me how much you are owed in total

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi, i have done a job and i have collected 50% deposite from the client, and when the job finished, the client refused to pay the rest 50%, been more than 8 months that I’m asking him to pay me and now he is saying that i made alot of damages on his house, i asked him to go there and look at the damages he is saying and he refuses, so I’m looking for advice what do do on this case

When did you do this job? and how much are you owed in total please?

Without the requested information, I can only provide you with the following general response, which will hopefully still answer your query. If money is owed by one party to another, the debtor can potentially be taken to court to try and force them to pay up. However, as legal action should only be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without the need to involve the courts. It is therefore recommended that the following steps are taken in order to try and resolve this:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time – 14 days is reasonable. They should be advised that if they fail to make contact to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the money that is owed. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this without the need for legal action. There are numerous templates available online for such letters and a simple search will bring up a list of useful results.

3. If the letter before action is also ignored, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome.  There will be a fee payable, which depends on the amount that is claimed. The debtor will eventually get a copy of the claim and they will have a limited time to answer it. They could accept it and pay what is owed, they could accept it only in part and defend the rest, or they could outright reject it. They could also completely ignore it, in which case judgment will eventually be entered automatically against them. Also, it is worth noting that the simple act of submitting a claim could show the debtor that this is being taken seriously and prompt them to consider negotiating a potential solution to stop the claim progressing further, such as offering full or partial repayment.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.