How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 23745
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I want to protect myself I have money from my mum to give to

This answer was rated:

I want to protect myself I have money from my mum to give to my siblings should I put something in writing to show why I’m giving them their share ? She never did a will and we had a joint account
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I told my two older brothers how much and gave them the last statement
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: yes my father has passed and he has requested that she get half of his money

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

I am not clear who 'he' is and 'he has requested that she get half his money'? please explain who these people are- thanks

Stuart J and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My dad in his will has left my mother money
But my main problem is how do I protect my self when I share her money to my siblings should I have it put in writing why I’m giving them money

I’m happy to call you as requested but the telephone number seems to have an extra digit.  Can you please confirm the correct number?

Meanwhile, it seems that your mother has died and you are distributing the proceeds of the estate equally between her children.  With no spouse, then the total proceeds of the estate would be divided equally.

It’s simply a case of telling them what the assets are, what the value is, and distributing the money equally between them and getting the receipt.

I can’t see why you would need to put in writing, other than the above, why you are actually giving the money because it would seem to be obvious unless I’m missing something.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
1-***-***-**** I’m in US

Is the whole issue in the United States or are your brothers and were your mother and father in the UK?  You have posted this in UK law.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
my mother money is in the UK but most of the children live in the US
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My father lived and died in UK
My mother lived in US died here too but money is in the UK

We spoke

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
One more question should I give them all a copy of my dads will so they can have

My personal view is that I would give them whatever information you have.  There is no point in being secretive and better give them too much than not enough.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Do I also give them a copy of the deed of the house it currently has both parents and myself I have yet to send off the documents to have the deed in my name only

House deeds are public domain and they can get copies from the land registry for 3 quid so no reason not to do so but you need to explain who is getting what under the terms of the will and let them have a copy of the will.  Keeping them informed is always a good idea

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can my dads money be used to help do repairs on the house or is that money part of his estate and can only be used for that according to his will as it only said to pay his bills?

The money could only be used to do repairs on the house of all the beneficiaries agree.  Otherwise the house gets sold as it is.  When your father dies, the house becomes whoever was left it in the will and the same applies to the money so you cannot use that money to repair the house which now belongs to somebody else.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok so the house was in joint tenancy with my parents and myself so now the house is mine and so I’m now responsible to make repairs from my own money? As his executor on his will his funds is just to pay his bills and share between the children?


It depends what bills there are because bills associated with the house, arising after death of the responsibility of whoever inherits the house.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok got it makes sense
The only bill for him from his estate is his headstone and he wanted to have a gathering next year when we apply his headstone so I will inquire the cost and set those funds aside the rest will be divided to children according to his will

It was my pleasure to assist you. Please come back if anything else crops up and needs clarification.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem.