Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I paid a company £1099 deposit for damp proof work in my

I paid a company £1099 deposit for damp proof work in my kitchen prior to installing new kitchen units. This was in January 2020. Due to lockdown they could not carry out the work and also they were unable to get materials. I cancelled the order in June 2020
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: in Sheffield
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Rang several times and text to director receiving replies that they were still closed. Rang office twice this week and the director would be contacted urgently to get in touch but still no communication
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: can I claim interest as well?

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I am very sorry to read of the above and I imagine what a difficult position it must be. I will certainly try to clarify your options.

May I confirm how you made this payment please?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
By direct bank transfer

I am sorry that I missed your request for a phone call which I note has been picked up by one of my colleagues and I trust by now you have had a productive conversation with them. In the assumption that you have, though you will have discussed the matter in more detail on the phone, by way of summary, if you have not yet received a refund of the deposit for a service which was not in practice carried out, then you would, if you are not able to achieve settlement amicably, be able to issue proceedings in the County Court together with costs and interest at a rate of 8% under section 69 of the County courts act.

The simplest way to issue proceedings would be online where you can add the above costs and interest to the claim:

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim