MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117,
Experience:  Expert
110754241

Trying to understand the meaning behind work restriction

Trying to understand the meaning behind work restriction clauses within employment contract.
JA: Was the employment contract issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: no
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: employees
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The exact wording states: "You shall not work for anyone else while you are employed by the Company without the prior written consent of a Manager. " - However, I currently own a limited company and occasionally freelance and have side-projects through that. Would the affairs of my company be outside of the scope of the restriction stated within the employment contract?

Good afternoon, thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. As the owner of the limited company it is likely you that would qualify as working for anyone else therefore I would advise that you disclose this to the employer.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Matt, thank you for your answer. I understand that disclosing such information would be the ideal way to go. However, my question is of whether that is necessary at all. As technically 'working for someone else' would fall within the scope of me as an individual rather than my company and me.

Yes I would say it is necessary, the clause is clearly requesting that any other work whether it be employed or freelance basis is declared to the employer. I understand that this is probably not the answer you were seeking but from I can only advise on the point of law from the infromation provided.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
ok, thank you very much.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
that is very helpful

Glad to be off assistance I wish you all the best.