GabrielP428
GabrielP428,
Experience:  Expert
112518128

I paid for car insurance and then never bought the car. The

I paid for car insurance and then never bought the car. The insurance started at a future date so when I cancelled it had never been auctioned. To my surprise the company has charged a cancellation fee of £60.00 which I think is excessive. Can I legally object?
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: You are the first to comment.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing apart from contacting you
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No. Thank you.

Hi I am Gabriel and I am a solicitor. It's all depend on the terms and conditions. If the contract comes into force only on the date when you purchase the car then you will have 14 to cancel the contract without paying penalties under consumer law

You need to look at the cancellation section in the terms and conditions and make sure there are on line with the consumer right act

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Gabriel
According to the small print on the contract the insurance co can charge £60.00 if I cancel at any time. This seems to be contrary to consumer law as I cancelled after just a few days and before the policy was auctioned. I should also say the total premium was only £135.00 so the £60.00 is virgins on half of the annual premium. Not reasonable!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please cancel phone call - not worth paying another £44!

Sure. You should send them a letter stating their cancellation policy is contrary to the consumer right act

If you need any further information or help do not hesitate to contact me

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I cancelled this call. It is crazy to £44.00 on an amount at stake of just £670.00! Please refund my £44.00. I have not taken the phone call.

Have you been charged? I have not arranged the call I m here only to answer your questions

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
apparently I have been charged. Never worth incurring 44.00 when the total amount in dispute is only £60.00. Please ensure I get a refund

Sorry to hear. You need to contact just answer. I just get the message transferred. I have no control over charges etc..