UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am a tenant trying to end a tenancy agreement contract for

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I am a tenant trying to end a tenancy agreement contract for student accomodation. My check in date is on the 18th of September, and from what I've heard, even if I haven't stepped in the accomodation once, I am required by law to pay for the entire year long accomodation, in spite of not even being in the country
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have not taken any step, I have just found out about this today.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: The Anvil,***** Highfield, Sheffield S2 4TB, United Kingdom
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, i don't think so.

I am a solicitor. Please upload a copy of your contract.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No problem. To give more context (probably irrelevant), I was supposed to do a 4-year degree, but I have decided to simply graduate after 3 years. Given that I am not going to study in Sheffield any more, I no longer need the accomodation that I have booked for the next academic year.

If your agreement does not yet start until September, you may request a cancellation, have you done this? https://www.unitestudents.com/cancellation-policy

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I haven't formally send an email, but when I was speaking to reception I was told that I cannot cancel unless it I do it 7 days after I have made the booking.
The booking itself was made a few months ago, it is the check-in date that is in September.

You should send them an email cancelling your booking so that they start marketing the room to another person.

This is what is applicable in your case:

"Provided the 7 Day Cooling-Off-Period has expired, you will have to pay all amounts due under your Tenancy Agreement unless a replacement Tenant is found for your Room or you enter into a new Tenancy. If a replacement Tenant is found for your Room before your start date, we will release you from your Tenancy Agreement on the date seven days after the new Tenant’s Tenancy Agreement is signed. If a replacement Tenant is found for your Room after your start date, we will release you from your Tenancy Agreement from the start date of the replacement Tenant's new Tenancy Agreement. If you have occupied the Room prior to this, you will be charged £50.00 to cover our costs of preparing the Room for the replacement Tenant."

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Is that the best that can be done in this situation? When I last was accommodated there, the building was mostly empty due to the covid situation. I think it is pretty unlikely they would find a tenant for my room...

I am afraid yes, unless they agree to release you from the booking voluntarily. You may try and negotiate with them to release you in exchange for an agreed amount.

All the best

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I understand, thank you for your time!

You are welcome.