12826847

We're having issues with the insurance/police. One day

Customer Question

Hi there, we're having issues with the insurance/police. One day police stopped my husband on the road, as it showed them that there is no insurance on it. He rang me straight away, I checked the policy - it showed up as everything is on, I sent him insurance certificate, but police said that on a system it doesn't show that it's on, even we have a proof that it's all ok in our account.. so they took the car, I contacted insurance what's happening, they assured me that everything on their end is ok and insurance is ON, but I believe that they haven't "clicked" something to complete, because before police stopped us, around a week before that I tried to change the vehicle on my insurance policy, but they put the wrong car model on it, they couldn't see it by register number, so at the end they cancelled this s enquiry and put the policy back to our car, whiwh one had insurance on it already. So around a week later when police stopped my husband I was in shock, as I have all emails from insurance company where it says that it's been on since March, everything is ok, they not sure where is the problem that police stopped my husband. So at the end they compensated us car towing fee and additional 50£ for all the hassle. Now we received the letter from police, that my husband is fined with 300£ and 6 points on his driving license. Obviously we don't agree with that, as we haven't done anything wrong, we agree to pay the fine, as at some point it might be our responsibility to check online if insurance is actually valid (well we did it, it showed us that everything is valid), but not sure why would you have to check it, if you haven't had any issues, cancellation, insurance haven't been amended, insurance company assured that everything is good on their end. So ok, 300£ fine - somehow we will manage that, but 6 points...?? So on the police letter we have to fill in details if we're happy to pay fine and get the points, or ask for "court hearing request", but we're not sure is there is even a point to start it, if we won't actually have a chance to "win" it?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: United Kingdom, Sc**thorpe
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None, just received the letter from the police with the fine and points for driving license, they're asking to submit the details on there who drove the car
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Probably no, tried to tell as much as I can in the first message
Expert:  Jo C. replied 22 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hello, glad to hear it. Please let me know if you need any more details. Tried my best to explain everything
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I'm happy to stay on live chat please
Expert:  Jo C. replied 22 days ago.

So, in short, he is prosecuted for no insurance?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 22 days ago.

And you believe you are insured?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Well, my insurance certificate stated that, online in my account when I checked it, it said as well that it's on since February, I've paid in full for a whole year, then on March we change the vehicle to this policy for the car which one they stopped. Then at the beginning of August we bought another car, so wanted to change the vehicle on the policy, tried it with assistant via email, but it didn't show correct car model, so he placed everything back to normal - to the same car as it was, to the one it's been insured since March. Then nearly a week after this "trying to change the vehicle" I went to see my acc, and it showed that our car is with valid insurance, everything is perfect - everyone is happy, then couple days later police stopped my husband on the way home as there is no insurance.. when meantime it showed us valid certificate online, he showed to the police, but they said that something is wrong and we have to contact our insurance provider to find out why it's not on. I contacted them and they answered me that everything is ok on their end. But I'm guessing the assistant probably didn't clicked something completely when he put the policy back as it was, so maybe that's the reason why it didn't show on the system for the police that it's actually on.. so I can only gues now what happened, Police said it's not on, insurance provider said it's on, on my account it was all perfect, certificate valid and so on..
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
The problem is that we were thinking that that's it, they took the car, we paid towing fee, claimed the car back and that's it, and now nearly a month after we received the letter that he's prosecuted with fine and points on his driving license, obviously I was in shock, as he's good and responsible driver, clean from points, we had insurance since February for this policy, everything is paid and all thw sudden he's guilty for driving with no insurance.. we're thinking to try to get a court to review it, but it's basically dealing with the police, not sure is it actually worth it if there is no chance we can prove anything. I have all emails from insurance company, where they stated that everything is on and they not sure why police stopped him, but not sure is that enough of evidence that we been stopped by the mistake
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
First screenshot is few minutes after police stopped my husband, he asked to make a screenshot what it says on insurance policy, when it's from - to and what car reg it say, the second and third is emails from insurance company, who assured that last time they placed everything back as it was after they attempted to change the vehicle on my policy.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Police stopped him on 11th of August 10:51, the name of the screenshots shows the dates as well
Expert:  Jo C. replied 22 days ago.

But can we try to distill this? Is this basically that he is or he isn't insured? Just one either yes or no would be great.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
he was insured
Expert:  Jo C. replied 22 days ago.

In that case, you just ignore the offer they've made, wait to see if they prosecute, and if they do, show an insurance certificate and the matter should fall away.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 22 days ago.

You could always send it in now but that doesn't mean you won't be prosecuted.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 22 days ago.

But if he is insured, there is no realistic prospect of a conviction.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 22 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.