Ask a Law Question, Get an Answer ASAP!
Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.
1. Whilst it is possible to have copyright in a quote or say, a generic descriptive phrase, such as "fart extinguisher" is not a quote or saying to which copyright would attach, because it is purely a descriptive phrase. There would have to be some original quote or saying for copyright to attach to it.
2. If you require any clarification or if there is additional information you wish to share, I will be happy to assist further in the resolution of your question.
3. A phrase like this can be copyright as it is an original phrase. It is not just a description.
4. Be aware that this is purely a Question and Answer website for informational purposes. Experts don´t represent people in disputes. Here, you will have to see a solicitor near where you live.
5. Copyright is an unregistered right. There is no such thing as a register of copyrighted sayings. So, it isnot possible to check to see if a phrase is copyright or not.
6. I appreciate the situation. However, you should write back a legal letter rejecting their claims of copyright, if this is what you want to do. Otherwise, you might end up in receipt of legal proceedings.