How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3012
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

My wife and I have recently been called alcholics and

This answer was rated:

My wife and I have recently been called alcholics and suffering from mental issues by the ex partner of our daughter who is trying to take the children from our daughter. We most certainly are neither of those two. The reason we believe he is stating this with absolutely no proof and no medical records at all to back this falsehood up is because we had offered our services to the social services to supervise our daughter whilst the children were with her. The kids are with the father until the case is heard in court. Now that he has claimed this Social services have to take it seriously so we are not allowed to supervise until police checks are carried out which could be forever. Up until the week before he made these claims the children spent weeks with us in our home 150 kilometres away and have been under our care for over three years during their breaks and on many occasions with not one negative incident or comment from the father only praise. He even dropped the kids off on many occasion. Can we sue this man for slander. This accusation if left unchecked and withdrawn could affect our lives ,insurance etc This is related to Northern Ireland law.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Northern Ireland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Doing this reasearch
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No thats it
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
When will I get an answer to my question
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Are you serious about working in this it’s fairly straightforward is it. Not call me text me give me an answer other wise I will be reporting this to whoever I need to give me th Ed help you say you can do
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Respond you need to NOW

Hi, welcome to JA, I am Readylaw one of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry.

I am sorry to hear about the allegations which have been made. Yes you can sue for defamation. You must show as part of your claim that the statement has damaged your reputation.

It is unlikely though that this is likely to affect your insurance unless it is that the statements were also made to them.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Apologies was in bed I need to know Can I priceed with a case in slander
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
You say I must show this has damaged my reputation well that is ridiculous Ut is because I don’t want my reputation damaged that I want this slur withdrawn !!!! What use is the law if the horse has bolted already!!! Please advise this logic.? Why should our reputation be smeared by anyone wishing to do so without recourse BEFORE it causes harm

I really cannot say why the law is the way it is. I can only say what the law is. Part of claiming damages is ultimately claiming for the effect something has had on you and as such saying you are entitled to being compensated for this wrong. That is essentially what you are being allowed to claim for.

If the horse has not bolted yet, as you put it, then what you may do is simply write a letter to the person indicating that you intend to sue them for damages if it is they do not stop what it is they are doing. It is perhaps best to have the letter written by a solicitor in order for it to be takne seriously.

ReadyLaw and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 21 days ago.