How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5450
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

My wife verbally abuses me and sometimes physically as well.

Customer Question

Hi, my wife verbally abuses me and sometimes physically as well. but it is not always, only when she is angry cause of something or someone.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: London
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: nothing so far i am thinking to leave the house
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 19 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Very sorry to hear what is happening, don't be embarrassed about what is happening, it is far more common than many people thing.

There are options open to you.

You can actually report her actions to the police, what she is doing is assault as well as coercive behaviour.

Reporting to the police would likely lead to her being charged and a temporary ban on being in the property if she is bailed not to return home. That may make her think about what she is doing.

You could also look at a civl route of a non molestation order from the court. This would prohibit her doing what she does or face arrest.

Normally she would be excluded form the property, but th order could allow her to remain n=but not abuse or assault you. That order could be applied for online.

Expert:  james bruce replied 19 days ago.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you so much for the reply. I have two kids (11 years and 8 years). i don't want to separate my kids from their mother since she is very good with them. i couldn't take any step so far is mainly due to kids, i was kind of accepting whatever was going on but it seems i cannot take anymore as it has become more frequent. i am planning to leave the house. gather my taught and find a way to sort this out, keeping the welfare of the kids and their interest in mind.
Expert:  james bruce replied 19 days ago.

I fully understand, breathing space my help. You could also try relate for councilling.

Expert:  james bruce replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.