Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

I have a small claim against me and the witness statement

Customer Question

I have a small claim against me and the witness statement that the claimant has provided are false and I have evidence to prove that
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Croydon London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I’ve given my statement and they’ve given me a court date, I don’t know how to submit any evidence. They sent me documents and invoices that all say that they are payable by the claimant and not myself and witness statements with false claims about my character and claiming things about the matter that never happened. There was no cover letter. Just documents sent from them. The court date is on the 20th
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: There’s an amount that I agreed I did owe in my statement. If I’m being honest I don’t believe I owe it but due to the harassment I felt pressured to agree to pay an amount only after that the claimant still demanded more money.
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 15 days ago.

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Pleas note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experiience delays.

What would you like to know today about the small claims proceure?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is it possible that I can claim that I don’t believe I owe any money this far down the line?Also is it worth challenging these witness statements? How would I go about that in court?Also I have no idea how to submit any evidence.I’m also unsure as to why the claimant sent me all the invoices and the two witness statements without any type of cover letter, is that unusual?

If you dont owe the amount claimed then you can say so at trial and also notify the claimant before trial in writing or over telephone.

You should challenge the witness statement now by writing to the Claimant via email or letter. Further you can challenge the statement at the trial by telling the judge your version of events. The Claimant is not obliged to add a cover letter with the witness statements and invoices. If you do not understand the contents within the statements and or invoices you should simply notify the claimant and he/she will try to explain the contents.

I hope i have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
do you think I have a strong chance of successfully defending myself in this claim?
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 14 days ago.

You may have but I can't advice on your chances because I have not had sight of all the court documents.

Reviewing such documents will attract a fee which will likely be in or around £500.

If you wish to proceed let me know.