Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have a question about a poor service in the erection of a

Customer Question

I have a question about a poor service in the erection of a garden building
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Reading, Berkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I had a garden building erected about 15 or more years ago. The roof system was guaranteed for 40 years. I noticed some rot at the edges of the roof at all four corners. I decided to strip the roof and replace any rotten wood myself. On checking the roof system manufacturers website I discovered that the roof had not been correctly installed in the first place, a watercourse which was part of the system was missing, and the instructions for installing the system on a boarded roof (to leave an air gap by the use of battens) were not followed. Do I have any come back from the company who supplied and erected the building. I couldn't possibly have realized that the roof was incorrectly installed until I started stripping it off myself.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Are you able to upload a copy of the guarantee on here?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I was wondering if you have had a chance to consider my query above please? I will need your response before I provide an accurate answer to your situation. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Without the requested information, I can only provide you with general information, which hopefully will still be useful to you. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

As you only have 6 years to make a claim under consumer legislation, you would be too late to do so now. However, you still have options to take this further under the guarantee they have offered as that is a contractual promise for them to resolve any issues covered under the terms of such warranty.

If they refuse to honour their obligations under that warranty it would be a case of making a claim for compensation through the civil courts.

If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can potentially do so by making a court claim. However, as legal action should only be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without the need to involve the courts. It is therefore recommended that the following steps are taken in order to try and resolve this:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time – 14 days is reasonable. They should be advised that if they fail to make contact to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for compensation. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this without the need for legal action. There are numerous templates available online for such letters and a simple search will bring up a list of useful results.

3. If the letter before action is also ignored, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome. There will be a fee payable, which depends on the amount that is claimed. The other side will eventually get a copy of the claim and they will have a limited time to answer it. They could accept it and pay what is owed, they could accept it only in part and defend the rest, or they could outright reject it. They could also completely ignore it, in which case judgment will eventually be entered automatically against them. Also, it is worth noting that the simple act of submitting a claim could show the other side that this is being taken seriously and prompt them to consider negotiating a potential solution to stop the claim progressing further, such as offering full or partial payment of the amount sought in the claim.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hello, following my main response above, I just wanted to check that everything was clear. If you have any further queries about this issue, you can reply to me at any time on this portal and I will be happy to help. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I trust that everything has now been resolved to your satisfaction and your original question has been dealt with. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.