How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3017
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I live above a shop and the shop puts their rubbish in our

Customer Question

Hi, I live above a shop and the shop puts their rubbish in our bins (don't have their own). If there is too much rubbish, the rubbish collection won't take the rubbish. I have called the council and they have told me it's not a council problem. I have approached the shop, but they deny doing it. Is there anything else that can be done?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Tolworth, (Kingston Council)
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've called the council and approached the shop owners without success
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That's it I think
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 17 days ago.


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays.

Do you have any evidence to show that it was the neighbour that put the rubbish in your bin?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Only that I've seen them doing it and spoken to them while they are doing it. Rubbish contains packaging from the shop
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Also, they are a shop and don't have a bin at all!
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 17 days ago.


Thanks for the further info.

A legal remedy is a court injunction which is an order from the court which compels the neighbour to stop such action failing which criminal action will follow.

However before you consider such measure i suggest writing a cease and desist letter. The letter should outline your concerns and demand they cease and desist such action within 14 days failing which you will consider court action.

You can find such template letters online.

Assuming the letter does not work I suggest you instruct a local solicitor to consider court action on your behalf.

Do you understand what i have stated? if yes i will discuss the next step

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I do understand, but can you tell me if a court injunction has a fee? I don't have funds for this sort of thing
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 17 days ago.

Yes court injuction is comes with a fee and I suggest you consider discussing this route when you instruct a solicitor.

You can find one using the link below which takes you a comparison site.

I hope I have clarified the position.


Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 17 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe