How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9612
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I'm currently under women's aid and I now have guardian of

Customer Question

Hi there I'm currently under women's aid and I now have guardian of my grandson. I made a claim for tax credits but now just received a letter asking for 304 back. I claim universal credit as I'm not working, wondering if I made a mistake somehow. I'm so stressed out now, don't know my monthly income now, it's so difficult to talk to anyone about it. Don't know how much money I'll be getting now if I have to pay that back and currently my x partner was in the claim but police had to come to remove him, think its going to court now, nobody will explain to me
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Wales
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Women's aid are here for us but don't think I'm claiming correct benefits and also received a msg saying he's been turned down for free school meals and uniform grant, it's all so confusing trying to phone tax credits but they won't dicuss it and it's all automated. I need to know if a mistake has been made.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I'm single and not in work and had my grandson because my daughter was going to put him into care. I need to know what I should be claiming and how much so I know my monthly income
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 18 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hello I'm sorry I've only deleted the answer by mistake so exhausted didn't know what I was doing
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 17 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 17 days ago.

Given your complicated circumstances, someone will need to talk through all your particular situation and advise, in these circumstances I recommend using a Turn2Us advisor, they are a charity specialising in benefits advice. If you enter your postcode on the page you can get details for an advisor, here:

I trust this assists

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thankyou, I need all the help you could give me please, I have taken in my 13 years old grandson because he was going into care but I couldn't do that. I need to know how much per month we should be having because I can't do anything or relax without knowing. I had previously claimed as I was my partners full time carer and he was on dla, then my grandson moved in last week of school before they broke up, then I had to have my partner removed and am under women's aid now and he's going to court, I can't cope with this stress. I claimed tax credits and I was told I had to claim universal credit but then last week I'd received a letter from tax credits that they'd over paid by 304, I changed my universal claim to just me and my grandson then, my partner was here until a couple of weeks ago. I'm wondering if tax credits have made a mistake because Morgan was with me 2 months or moreand still is now.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 17 days ago.

I understand the issue, as advised your circumstances are complicated hence my advice to use the turn2us link provided above to contact a specialist benefits advisor who can talk through all your circumstances and advise accordingly, take care