Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

A Well known magazine published a review of a laptop but

Customer Question

A Well known magazine published a review of a laptop but made an error in reporting the free manufacturer warranty period at 3 years. Because the warranty was for 3 years I bought the laptop. Do I have any claim for damages against the magazine and for how much
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.
Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.

Did you contact the manufacturer at all to query the warranty?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi not before I bought it no
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I relied on the review .
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

You will not have any legal rights against the magazine unfortunately. Whilst they provided incorrect information in the review, the warranty has nothing to do with them and can be changed at any time by the manufacturer. You should always check what warranty , or other benefits, before you make the purchase, especially as these can change at any time. Therefore, the review must always be read in conjunction with independently verifying what benefits you get as part of a purchase as they are never guaranteed and can always change.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thanks for such a quick response. I reallyappreciateitandwillrememberyouradvice. Dinah
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best