Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I am the managing agent of a property of which the landlord

Customer Question

I am the managing agent of a property of which the landlord is deceased so this has become a probate issue.The tenant has not paid his rent and I’ve given a eviction notice. Do I have to wait for the notice to expire before evicting the tenant
Expert:  Stuart J replied 20 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

When did this person die and do you know who is dealing with his estate?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
The person died 2/01/2021 in Ghana. His wife is dealing with the estate and she’s in Ghana
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 19 days ago.

Although you would think you would be able to simply end the tenancy when someone has died, you can’t.  You still have to go through the same process but you are now dealing with the Personal Representatives (executors) rather than the deceased tenant.

I can probably do no better than let you have this excellent article on this subject:

https://landlordlawblog.co.uk/2014/05/21/what-happens-to-a-tenancy-when-the-tenant-dies/

If you come back to me with any queries after you have read that, I would be happy to deal with those individually for you.