How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marcinlondon Your Own Question
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 578
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Marcinlondon is online now

We have received a claim through Crewe County Court from our

Customer Question

We have received a claim through Crewe County Court from our previous tenant who wants to claim 3 x times the rent for an oversight on our behalf of registering the deposit. We want to defend the claim and need help to do this from a solicitor. Best regards, Marie
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Initially I used just ask for legal advice. I am resident in the UK.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We returned our tenants deposit in full within 10 days despite damage to the vinyl in the kitchen. When we received a letter from the tenants solicitor informing us of the claim for 3 x the deposit plus costs, we wrote to the solicitor to reject the claim as we thought the amount was unfair for a 4 month tenancy. We explained the mitigating circumstances which led to the oversight of registering the deposit and made an offer of one times the rent plus half of the costs at that time.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I work for the NHS and was under a lot of pressure at work. My husband was recovering from prostate cancer treatment. Which was why we forgot to register the deposit. When are tenant first moved into the property we received an email to say how lovely the flat was and thanked us for allowing a 4 month contract. The tenant reported the heating controls were not set correctly and the heating was coming on at the wrong time of day. She also informed us the electric heating system was not wired to economy 7. We did not know this because we had not lived in the property and no previous tenant had reported the issue. We sent our engineer to the property and the issue was fixed. The tenant has also claimed she was without hot water, which is untrue as my husband and i stayed at the property to check it over and clean it to our standards. We used hot during our stay. The washing machine also broke down, again we sent our engineer to the property. The bearings had gone and we authorised a replacement. However our tenant complained this did not happen quickly enough.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 18 days ago.
Just answerHello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online.
You will have a chance to request a call. You will see an automatic prompt. Please feel free to request it but do not feel obliged to do so.
Please do note that my response is not instantaneous but I will always aim to get back to you on the same day with my answer, or request more information, if appropriate.

Lastly, please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and do not replace any legal advice you might need, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship.
Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 18 days ago.

I am very sorry to hear about this. You can certainly mitigate in court as you have promptly returned the deposit and actively wished to resolve the case by proposing recent ADR, which I note was rejected. However, the court might still fine you.

Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 17 days ago.

I trust this helps. Please feel free to get back to me with any follow up questions. I will be happy to help.

Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 17 days ago.

In the meantime, many thanks for using our service.