Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have a pension with Legal & General, following

Customer Question

I have a pension with Legal & General , following complications after an operation in 2011 I was no longer able to continue in my job as a career due to disability. There was a waiver of claim and my premiums were paid, my understanding was this was because I could no longer able to work as career .i will never be able to work again as career but have been retrained and work in office since 2014 ,L & G initially rang me on yearly basis for confirmation that I was not working as career and I advised that I was retraining and working I do have email from L & G In 2016 asking me to confirm that I was still not working as career .New company have taken over and sent pages of forms to be completed and I’m worried that I have been given incorrect information and should have been paying premiums
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: not yet but didn’t want to fill in forms without advice
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: employee
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: thank you - don’t think so , I’ve sent back declarations every year saying not working as carer
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 15 days ago.

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 14 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

It does not sound like you were misinformed, do you have confirmation you need not pay the premiums in writing? What is the paperwork concerning the fact you are not working as a carer?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
That’s my concern , I can’t find any paperwork, someone helped me in start to make claim , and then L & G used to ring me every year and I’m sure this is where it comes from , I have an email from them in 2016 ,asking me to confirm that I was not able to work as carer, which I did and they then sent me a very basic form every year and I confirmed that I was unable to work as career. I retrained and have been working in office since 2014 and I’m sure I told them in one of calls and I was advised that waiver was cos I could no longer do job I was employed as in 2011 but I’m worried that I may have been misinformed and that I should have been paying premiums from when I returned to work

I think you will need this looked into unfortunately this is not something we can do on this platform, my suggestion is you refer it to the pensions advisory service who can then look at the paperwork you have been sent and decide if there is an issue, they can be contacted here: https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/pensions-and-retirement?source=tpas

Or on 0800(###) ###-####/p>

I trust this assists