Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

I have received a letter from 'Accelerant Insurance Ltd' of

Customer Question

I have received a letter from 'Accelerant Insurance Ltd' of Malta to say they are transferring a portfolio from Malta to the Belgium office of their insurance company. Although it has my name on, the letter is not fully addressed and I have never heard of the company and no idea what insurance it is referring too. They say that any representation should be addressed to the Insurance & Pensions Supervision at Malta F S A. I do have a Business Pension with Clerical & Medical and Aviva Pensions. I'm concerned about fraud.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Worcestershire.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I looked up a UK address which turned out to be Companies House in London.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No.
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 13 days ago.

Hello.   I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 13 days ago.

I am considering my reply which I will post shortly.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 13 days ago.

I have never heard of “Accelerant Insurance Ltd” of Malta (or indeed the UK).    I have conducted some research online and cannot identify with certainty the company that has approached you and therefore do not know whether there are any fraud concerns surrounding this company.   However, I agree that their approaching you does bear some hallmarks of a scam and therefore you are wise to seek legal advice.

It is a common scam that “investment gurus” approach pension holders and persuade them to pay all or a substantial proportion of their pensions on the spurious promise of increasing the value of their retirement pots, only to find that the investor was a fraudster who has used their savings to fund a lavish lifestyle.

For the time-being, I suggest that you consult your own pensions and investments providers and advisers for clarification as to whether this approach is genuine.   It may be that Accelerant sent you a “mailshot” letter in error, but your pension adviser will be able to confirm the legitimacy of the approach.

If your pensions advisers have concerns, you should refer Accelerant to the UK’s Financial Conduct Authority who may be able to confirm whether your concerns are well-founded and publish a warning on their website to other innocent investors who have been approached by them.   You may also report any attempt to defraud you to Action Fraud, which is the Met Police’s online and financial fraud investigation unit.

Under no circumstances should you transfer any of your pensions and investment pot to Accelerant until you are satisfied that they are a legitimate company and their request is genuine.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 13 days ago.

I hope this resolves your enquiry.   Please revert to me if you require any clarification of my answer to your question and I shall be delighted to assist.

LawyerEd