Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I have received a parking notice which claims that I did not

Customer Question

I have received a parking notice which claims that I did not pay for 1 hour parking. The signage in the car park stated that blue badge holders were not liable to the tariffs. I appealed but received no redone until today. The notice was received on 23/7/21. Appealed the same day. I am waiting for by to verify my email receipts. The parking company have now avoided my ability to appeal POPLA. What can I do
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Taunton but the ticket was issued for Mousehole in Cornwall
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have received another letter from a debt collection firm. I have responded to them to advise that I am waiting for the appeal result and also written to the parking firm asking for details of the rejection and grounds for that
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It comes down to the signage in the carpark
Expert:  Stuart J replied 18 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Are you asking if you are liable?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
but also what can I do to avoid the charge that is unfair. I will have to travel to Mousehole to photograph the signage. The loss of the Appeal to POPLA is a problem but what if I can prove that I didn’t receive the result of the appeal?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 18 days ago.

By and large, appealing as a waste of time.

Tell the company that you have no intention of paying this, you are a blue badge holder and it’s free of charge and that they should issue court proceedings which you will defend not only will you defend them, even though it’s small claims court you will ask the court to award costs against them on the basis of their unreasonable behaviour particularly in the light of the correspondence.

If they decide to go ahead blindly an issue court proceedings against you then you are going to have to defend them but you have what appears to be a concrete defence.

You can always ask the company for a copy of the sign which they are relying on but there is no guaranteeing that it will be correct but what I would do therefore is go to the car park and add my costs at 50p per mile as a counterclaim

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I will go to the car park and photograph the sign. This will secure the evidence or prove that I can’t read!!
Expert:  Stuart J replied 18 days ago.

It was my pleasure to assist you. Please come back if anything else crops up and needs clarification.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer, and of course me,  with your legal problem.