Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I have email confirmation that my searches were ordered on

Customer Question

I have email confirmation that my searches were ordered on 14th July 2021 I chased several times I received an email from the Solicitors on 31st August 2021 requesting I send land registry plans for the searches, when I queries why these had not been asked for before he responded We will not argue as it is time consuming.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Purchasing in Chester Solicitor in London, I'm in Manchester
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have a detailed time line of my emails l need my house to complete before I have to pay stamp duty, if the reason for it not completing is my solicitors delays I want him to pay the duty.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I arranged a solicitor though Tom Wilmore at Conveyancing indexing one of my provisos was that the solicitor must be able to complete without the Land Registry being complete, i.e., the property would not be registered under the sellers; this was apparently quite usual with new builds, however was exasperated by the fact that the land registry was experiencing delays – The solicitor engaged must be happy to do this. However this turn out not to be the case I have an email from him however stating he would send the searches to my new solicitors
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

You mention this is a new build?

and he replied 'we will not argue as its time consuming'?

Could you clarify that a little more please I don’t quite understand it?

Apart from the potential delay, what exactly is the problem?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Let me just deal with the search issue on its own.

If searches are delayed, it is possible to get Search Delay insurance to insure against an adverse result so it’s still possible to complete without the searches so that shouldn’t be a reason to hold things up.

It is not at all unusual, particularly for a new build for the property not to be registered in which case, the developer would send former TP1 your solicitor which is the transfer of part from the whole into your name and they would send the transfer from whoever they purchased the land from into your name.

What your solicitor would have to ascertain of course is that the developer had good title to the land on which the property was built and that whoever sold it to the developer had provided the necessary transfer deed.  That seems to be the problem, rather than the searches.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 14 days ago.

It was my pleasure to assist you. Please come back if anything else crops up and needs clarification.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer, and of course me,  with your legal problem.