UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am unsure of the terms of my tenancy agreement, London,

Customer Question

I am unsure of the terms of my tenancy agreement
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London, UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have made an offer to rent a room and have gone through the reference checks (ID, bank statements, right to rent, former landlords...) and the private landlord said they would send me the tenancy agreement within 2 days THey have sent it today but 1) they typed my name at the end so I'm unsure whether that means they have tried to sign in my place, and 2) there are terms in the agreement which are unfair and contradict with what they advertised I have not replied to them nor have I confirmed that I agreed with the terms (they sent it via email) They simply emailed it to me today asking if I had any questions. I am worried that although I have not confirmed any of the terms they have typed my name meaning they have signed it electronically in my place
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No that is all
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 19 days ago.

I am a solicitor.

Have you paid them any money?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No I have not
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I would rather talk to you in written form than call you, thank you

We do not need to talk.

If you have not paid them anything, that is good. You should point out the contradictory terms in the Agreement to them and ask them to change the same.

You should also point out that you have not agreed to the terms of the tenancy agreement and are not bound by it until you are happy and have signed it.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you kindly for your advice. Yes I would also want to know whether the fact that they have already typed my name at the end of the contract legally means that I have signed although this is not the case at all?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Please see this
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
this is the part about the termination of the tenancy, which talks about the fact the tenancy cannot expire before 12 months, although the fixed term is 6 months!

They have simply typed your name. You are not bound by it until you sign it yourself either with a pen or electronically.

You should ask them to delete or correct the 12 months to 6 months as advertised.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Okay thank you for all of this advice. Is there a way for this conversation to be saved so that I can justify that I seeked legal advice?

I am afraid I am independent of this site and do not know the technical workings of it. You may have received emails or you may take a screenshot.

All the best

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I understand, that is okay. And so can I expect her to send me the contract again, but this time with her signature on it, once we are both happy with the terms? And then I will be able to sign it?

Yes, you may ask for that. A contract needs agreement from both sides to be binding.

All the best