How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 24625
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I am looking for a solicitor advice on being a guarrantor,

Customer Question

I am looking for a solicitor advice on being a guarrantor
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Telford
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: it is to be a guarantor to my daughter buying a lease property
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 19 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Who is asking for a guarantor please?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
A bank
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I am happy to type thank you.
I need to be referred to a solicitor who can advise accordingingly
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I am signing a document to say that I have consulted a solicitor. If this is not possible on here please let me know.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 19 days ago.

You can sign the document to say that you have consulted a solicitor and we can give you advice on the terms of the guarantee because that is relatively straightforward but if the lender wants confirmation from the solicitor that you have had independent legal advice, you will need to see a high street solicitor because we cannot provide that signature for you.

A word of warning.

Shop around because you will find that the price for the advice varies from a few hundred pounds to a couple of thousand pounds.  Just go for the cheapest.

You might need to ring round an awful lot of solicitors but you can search by postcode and specialism on the Law Society


find a solicitor link which is at the top left hand corner of the page.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards