How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Turner Your Own Question
Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1917
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ed Turner is online now

Can I sure my husband and I’m his affair partner for

Customer Question

Hi can I sure my husband and I’m his affair partner for emotional distress and damage the affair and discrimination has caused me and the fact that they are still carrying on the affair in my presence while he is living at home . He also does not want to move out permanently but continue to have the affair 😢 so I just cannot recover from this stress. It’s affecting my health and my children
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 20 days ago.

Hello.   I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 20 days ago.

This country’s civil law only compensates mental distress in a very limited number of cases.   These include:

1.  Being the victim of an accident, which was another’s fault, and suffering a severe mental injury, such as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder;

2.  An employment claim against an employer that involved discrimination based on a protected characteristic such as gender or race;

3.  Libel, slander and defamation of character and associated claims, such as breach of confidence and breach of privacy;

4.  Disappointed feelings for an “experience contract” such as a holiday;

5.  Suffering “Harassment”, such as sustained psychological and emotional abuse without any direct physical violence or threats of physical violence within the meaning of the Protection From Harassment Act 1997.   The Protection From Harassment Act was introduced to punish “stalking” but there have been decisions which have included repeated and unjustified threats of legal action as constituting “Harassment”.

Being inconvenienced and suffering emotional upset due to another party’s poor behaviour does not sound in damages.

Even if you are involved in an accident, you cannot claim damages for being “shaken-up” unless you also sustained a physical injury such as soft tissue injury to your neck (also known as “whiplash”).

Therefore, beyond a divorce settlement from your husband on the grounds of adultery, the law cannot compensate you for your mental distress.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 20 days ago.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you, but I must be as honest as possible with you to advise in your best interests.

I hope this resolves your enquiry.   Please revert to me if you require any clarification of my answer to your question and I shall be delighted to assist.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you for your reply .
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Is continuing the affair in my presence not harassment?
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 20 days ago.

No, I do not think so unless it involves direct threats or oppressive behaviour towards you.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Also I am seeing a counsellor , and I may have to be on anti depressants though I really don’t want to with the kids . I believe I am suffering from a type of PTSD . PISD it’s called .
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
What does direct threats mean ?
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 20 days ago.

Words to the effect of, "Get out of the house while I am with my mistress, or I will knock you out!"

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
what is oppressive behaviour please? He’s telling me I need to face reality , leave it’s over .. verbally abusive daily all day . Wants to leave when I te him to leave he says - I’m forcing him to leave . Literally everything I do is wrong . I need some help and I don’t know what to do.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Oh .
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No he’s not said that
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
How about leaving the kids with me so he can see his affair partner and then still come home ?
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 20 days ago.

I have answered your questions as far as I am able to on the Portal.   Obviously, there is a limited amount of advice I can give based on a few lines of text on the Just Answer instant messaging Portal.  Very often the best I can do is “point you in the right direction” for the sake of seeking more detailed advice.

If you want further bespoke advice, I need to review all relevant correspondence and documents and advise in a telephone call.

I will place an offer of a Premium Service Phone Call Request through on the Portal.  If you do not want this additional service, I wish you all the very best in resolving this matter and of course for safely navigating the current “choppy waters” in which we all find ourselves.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Sorry for asking so many questions …
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 20 days ago.

All the best with resolving matters.   I am sorry to hear of your situation; it must awful for you.   I hope I have provided some clarity over your legal situation.