Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

Ood afternoon, i am trying to understand whether i am

Customer Question

ood afternoon, i am trying to understand whether i am entitled to a flight compensation or not.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I sent an email asking for flight refund and compensation to the airline 2 months ago and they didn;t reply
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: am trying to explain quick my situation. I booked a flight through Lufthansa website. On the day of the departure we have been told that our flight was delayed resulting in missing conncetion. They gave us another flight with the same departure and destination but different connction. The original one was Manchester to Bologna with connection in Brussels, while the replacement flight was Manchester to Bologna via Frankfurt.
When we arrived at the check in desk we were denied to take the flight because was not possible to "TRANSIT TO SHENGEN AREA VIA DEU UK" and they didn't put us in any other flight resulting in me buying another flight with my own money for the same day.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 20 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 20 days ago.

How long ago was this please?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
ok
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Better to type
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 20 days ago.

OK no problem. How long ago was this please?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
The flight i have been denied to take was on the 2nd July
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 20 days ago.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 20 days ago.

My apologies, I have looked into your query in more detail but unfortunately it is not something I can assist with. I will therefore ‘opt out’ and a colleague better placed to deal with the nature of your query should hopefully pick this up soon. Please do not reply in the meantime as that will just assign the question back to me and you will experience a delay. Thank you

Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 19 days ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Tetyana-moderator
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I am for you to find another solicitor.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
of course
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.

I am sorry, I responded to your query in error. I will opt out again so that another expert can assist you

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 18 days ago.

Hello.   I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 18 days ago.

You have a claim in breach of contract and breach of the sale and supply of goods and services legislation against the airline.   The Defendant was under a duty in contract law and statute to provide you with a product and service that was fit for purpose, of reasonably satisfactory quality and matched the description at the point of sale.   Your damages will be a refund on the purchase price, plus additional costs of rectifying their defective work through another supplier.

You should send a letter of claim to them.  There are plenty of free templates online and the consumer protection advice magazine/website “Which?” has a useful template which you can adapt to your claim: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/letter/letter-before-small-claims-court-claim.

If they do not reply with their reasons for disputing the claim within 21 days, you should issue court proceedings via the Government’s Small Claims Track Online System: https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim.  The issue fee depends on the total damages being claimed.   If you issue online, the court issue fee ranges from between £35.00 for a claim worth up to £300.00 damages, up to £455.00 for a claim worth between £5,000.00 and £10,000.00 damages.   The Small Claims Court Online Portal will advise you on the fee when you come to issue your claim, but you may check the Government’s Court Fee advice booklet EX50 at PDF page 5/21 accessible at the following link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fees-in-the-civil-and-family-courts-main-fees-ex50.

A party cannot normally recover solicitors’ costs on the Small Claims Track.   However, it is designed for non-lawyers (known as “Litigants In Person”).  The trials are relatively informal, and the judges do not expect parties to have the same legal knowledge as experienced solicitors and barristers.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 18 days ago.

I hope this resolves your enquiry.   Please revert to me if you require any clarification of my answer to your question and I shall be delighted to assist.

LawyerEd