John
John, Solicitor
Experience:  10 years legal experience
106125879

I I RANTED AN APARTMENT DIRECTLY FROM A HOUSE OWNER WHO IS

Customer Question

HELLO, I I RANTED AN APARTMENT DIRECTLY FROM A HOUSE OWNER WHO IS THE WIFE OF THE LANDLORD, I HAVE BEEN LIVING IN THE APARTMENT FOR 8 MONTHS, OF RECENT WHEN I HAVE ISSUES IN THE HOUSE LIKE WASHING MACHINES NOT WORKING IT TAKES MONTHS TO FIX. LAST MONTH MY TOILET SINK WAS LICKING I REPORTED AND THE HUSBAND CAME TO MY APARTMENT AND SAID I RANTED THE APARTMENT ILLEGALLY THROUGH THE WIFE AND THAT HE IS THE OWNER AND HE WILL BE SERVING A LETTER OF NOTICE TO LEAVE THE APARTMENT THROUGH HIS LAWYER AND HE WILL BE PUTING A SELL NOTICE ON THE HOUSE. ALSO THIS IS THE THIRD WEEK MY TOILET HAVE NOT BEEN FIX. I NEED A LEGAL ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: RENTED APARTMENT
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: YES MAINTENANCE TAKES AGES, EVEN NOW TILL NOW I STILL USE A BROKEN TOILET
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: NO
Expert:  John replied 16 days ago.

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can.  I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  John replied 16 days ago.

Thanks for your message, and sorry to hear this happened. You will still have tenant rights. The landlord will need to take this issue up with his wife, but as a tenant you still have rights.

Even if the house is sold, you have a legal interest in a property. If the ownership of the property changes, that interest is not destroyed. This means your tenancy will persist through and after the property sale. You still benefit from all your tenancy rights as described by the law. None of them are limited, altered or restricted by the change of ownership.

You have a right to remain in the property for the entire fixed term period and if the landlord wants to evict you he will need to follow the established rules, which is serve the correct notice period.

Furthermore, he still has a duty under section 11 of the landlord and tenant act. This section sets out a Landlord’s obligations to repair a property. Failure to do so, is a breach of this. So if he does not fix the toilet or washing machine you can take him to court.

Expert:  John replied 16 days ago.

I hope this helps. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help.

Expert:  John replied 16 days ago.

Hello, just following up on this to ensure you're satisfied with what you need to do. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help. All the best, John

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Well, the landlord is extending his family issues to the tenet and I shouldn't be drag into it. meanwhile, I'm just asking about my options if there is a further bridge of contract, and I need to know what i can suit them and what I stand to gain
Expert:  John replied 16 days ago.

You are correct you should not be dragged into it. As mentioned you have a contract which comes with rights. If you are evicted illegally then you can take court action against the landlord.