How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marcinlondon Your Own Question
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 578
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Marcinlondon is online now

I withdrew my statement. Can police force me to give

Customer Question

I withdrew my statement. Can police force me to give evidence
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I signed the statement that i am not supporting investigation
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: my husband and i have reconciled
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 18 days ago.
Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online.
You will have a chance to request a call. You will see an automatic prompt. Please feel free to request it but do not feel obliged to do so.
Please do note that my response is not instantaneous but I will always aim to get back to you on the same day with my answer, or request more information, if appropriate.

Lastly, please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and do not replace any legal advice you might need, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship.
Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 18 days ago.

Thank you very much for your patience. I am sorry to hear about the police issue. The answer is No. The Police cannot force you to give evidence. However, they can pursue the case without your support - domestic abuse prosecutions are possible without the victim’s support. I hope all ends well. Please let me know if you have any other questions, I am happy to help to the extent I can.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
In a case of marital rape where the woman has made accusations but is not supporting the investigation, what other evidence would the police need to charge the defendant without the support of the defendant. There was no report made to the police as the incident happened 8 months before it was reported.
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 16 days ago.

It is really hard to say but any evidence which can prove marital rape (as set out in the Sexual Offences Act 2003) i.e. any and all proof that the other party did not consent or the act was done against their will. All evidence relating to domestic violence etc.