12826847

I was a member of a gym. The closed their doors and froze my

Customer Question

I was a member of a Virgin gym. The closed their doors and froze my membership. I extended that freeze and then lost
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I told them 6 weeks before my freeze was due to run out to cancel my membership because I was unemployed and to cancel my membership. They wanted proof I was unemployed. And I couldn't cancel my membership from being frozen. I had to Havana month active membership. I said I didn't understand what that meant and then I received no further communication.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I hope blind myself I am in a bit of a state at the moment
Expert:  Jo C. replied 14 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I lost my job. My gym membership was frozen due to the pandemic. I couldn't afford to return and told the club about my situation. They wanted proof. I didn't understand why and we had an email Exchange. Then the emails from them then then stopped. I assume they have cancelled my membership and now they are demanding money from me.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 14 days ago.

Ok, are you asking if you are liable?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Do I have to pay? To get out of this membership which I can't afford.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 14 days ago.

What does the contract say upon the point?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No idea. I've been with them for years,
Expert:  Jo C. replied 14 days ago.

But it will almost certainly be online?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Then it says I can't go from frozen to cancel with a month "active" membership. That's what I am being told.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 14 days ago.

What are you being told?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 14 days ago.

This will turn upon what the contract says.  However, whatever it does say, it is not likely that they would sue.  They may instruct debt collectors to pursue you but unless they get a CCJ from the county court they cannot take any action.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 14 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.