Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Last year I was sacked by Royal mail and have a tribunal in

Customer Question

Last year I was sacked by Royal mail and have a tribunal in Nov, my union will not advocate for me , even though I've been a member for 16 years, and I have no money for a solicitor looking for some help
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Leamington spa
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have followed all criteria set by court, my dates for initial hearing is November 8th and 9th my case file is all ready but I'm scared that if I Lose me and my family will be saddled with massive legal bill
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I was sacked after 16 years for gross misconduct, Up to that point I had a completely clean conduct record
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 20 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 20 days ago.

What do you specifically want to know about this? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I am worried that if I continue without support of my union me and my family will end up with a massive legal fee that we can't afford
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Do I need to pay 44 pounds to get this phone call
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Ben do I have to pay extra for phone call
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. Yes, phone calls are charged extra but are optional so you can ignore it and continue in this chat if you wanted to.

When you make a claim in the Employment Tribunal, you are not required to have the help of a lawyer or any other party. You can easily pursue a claim yourself and do everything that is required of you personally. The whole process is not that tasking as they have designed it to allow small, unrepresented parties pursue their rights against their employers.

Another consideration is that in the Employment Tribunal, the principle is that ‘costs do not follow the event’, which in layman’s terms means that the losing party does not automatically pay the winning party’s legal costs.

There are circumstances when that may happen but usually you need to have acted in a highly unreasonable or vexatious manner, such as ignoring Employment Tribunal orders, unnecessarily delaying things, incurring further costs in the process and so on.

Also, you may be potentially liable for some costs if you unreasonably pursue a claim which clearly had no reasonable prospects of success. You would usually be warned this is the case and be given the chance to withdraw without penalties and it is only if you blindly continue with the claim regardless, that you may be liable.

It is always worth paying for ad-hoc solicitors’ advice just to get a formal consideration of your case and to be told how strong of a claim you have, which will determine whether you go ahead with it still.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Hello, following my main response above, I just wanted to check that everything was clear. If you have any further queries about this issue, you can reply to me at any time on this portal and I will be happy to help. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Hello, I trust that everything has now been resolved to your satisfaction and your original question has been dealt with. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.