How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3482
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

Can’t get a tenant out my house, Motherwell, We gave them a

Customer Question

Can’t get a tenant out my house
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Motherwell
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We gave them a 6 months notice to quit which was up on the 8th of August they say they haven’t found anything else suitable
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The reason for the notice to quit is the boiler has been deemed dangerous so has been swith
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 19 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  As you are now past the 6 month mark you can make an application to the housing tribunal (1st Tier) to serve and eviction notice on the tenant.  Prior to doing this I would write to them and state you are looking to take legal action to have them removed if they don't do this voluntarily.  I would also state that they may be liable for all the legal costs of you doing this.  Once this is done the tenants can be "forced" to vacate the premises.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (Scotland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
We have been told because the notice to quit was not sent by recorded delivery it does not count and we’ll have to give them another 6 months notice
Expert:  RJM Law replied 19 days ago.

There is no provision to state it must be sent by recorded delivery.