How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8311
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

Can anyone recommend the best divorce lawyer/solicitor?

Customer Question

Can anyone recommend the best divorce lawyer/solicitor?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
In UK…
Expert:  plclegal replied 16 days ago.

Good evening.

My name is ***** ***** I specialise in family law. I’m happy to assist you today and I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

I'll do my best to resolve this for you, please give me time to review your question and I will revert back to you shortly.

Expert:  plclegal replied 16 days ago.

Can you tell me is your case particularly complex, are there large assets at play? Are you agreed on any issues or is everything in dispute?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Good evening,
Many thanks for your reply!
Have been married for 18 years.
We have one daughter who is 13 year old.
We have a property in UK(equity approx.£170k) and 3 properties abroad.
They have been living abroad for the last 5 years and don’t want to come back to UK.
Unfortunately I can’t afford to pay for their rent abroad and my daughter’s private school.
I’ve been paying everything for since we have been married and I can’t simply carry paying for everything and she is having a relationship already abroad where she lives.
We have been married in UK.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
At the moment she doesn’t want to agree to anything unless she will be given 80% from our assets and future maintenance sums for her and our daughter.
Expert:  plclegal replied 16 days ago.

I understand.

You will need someone robust. But you are not talking about high value assets and as such I would suggest you avoid the high ranking London firms as you may end up spending hundreds of thousands in fees.

When assets are worth millions, this is justifiable. When they are not, its a folly.

The good news is that you can make the application yourself, you don't need a lawyer for that. If your wife has been abroad for 5 years you could file for divorce on grounds of five years' separation, which doesn't require her consent.

You can also issue a financial order application as your wife lives outside the UK and as such you would be exempt from mediation.

You can then engage a lawyer for a court hearing if you need to, and save money on expensive lawyer fees. I'd suggest going to a barrister directly for court representation through direct access, perhaps see my for that.

The forms/ links you need are here:



This is also a helpful guide for the financial order process:

Can I clarify anything further for you at this stage?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Many thanks for you prompt answers and helpful advice!!!
Expert:  plclegal replied 16 days ago.

My pleasure.

Thank you for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Perfect Peter!
Many thanks once again!
Expert:  plclegal replied 15 days ago.

Very happy to help and thanks for the feedback.

Expert:  plclegal replied 15 days ago.

Just one correction - the web address for direct access barristers is (not sure why autocorrect changed that in the reply above!)