12826847

There are 2 car parks serving Praa Sands in Cornwall which

Customer Question

There are 2 car parks serving Praa Sands in Cornwall which must be independent of each other, but I never knew. I entered one and paid for a £3 all day ticket. I left site 30 mins later as I had dropped off my wife/friends and I went to church. On my return the car park I had used was full so I drove to across the road to the other car park in a field. I told the steward I I already had a ticket and he replied 'yes, you'll need a ticket'. I parked up and returned several hours later and parked again just outside the field to make it easier loading the car. We then went for a coffee. I've received a £100 fine for parking in the field (£60 if paid before 10.9.21) and another similar fine running consecutively time wise, (the same time when I left the field to when I re-parked) for when I parked up again. My original parking ticket is visible on my dash board from one of their photos. The parking metre I used just state the charge, which I paid. I genuinely wasn't aware a different company was charging separately across the road. It seems like a sting operation to me. Can you advise? Thank you Mark Bray
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Praa Sands in Cornwall
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No, I;ve just received the details of the charges and given 10 days to pay at a reduced fee or appeal. I have until the 10th Sept
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That's it. There was a notice across the road, but I didn't read it as I'd paid in good faith. I didn't notice anything in the car park I went to originally to indicate there were /are 2 companies operating the site.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 19 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi Jo. Fingers crossed you can assist as it seems a very unfair predicament for a genuine error.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 19 days ago.

Who is the issuer please?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Premier Park, PO Box 624, Exeter, Devon, EX1 9JG
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Reference(###) ###-####initially (parked 5 hours 54 mins 19 secs) between 11.34 and 16.29. Then(###) ###-#### parked 48 mins 08 secs between 16:29 and 17:17. This charge shows my vehicle with the original parking ticket on my dashboard.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 19 days ago.

Sorry if Im missing the point but you seem to accept not having a ticket for the second?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I thought my original ticket covered parking at Praa Sands, period, wherever I parked. £3 all day parking.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 19 days ago.

Ok, but it was a different car park?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 19 days ago.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news. I'm afraid you are in difficulty here.

I have to tell you the truth.

Either it does cover you or it does not. It doesn’t matter whether or not you thought it did. You can always ask them to prove that it was not compliant but since they were two separate car parks, I cannot see how it can be.

Do remember that I can only give you my opinion.

Another lawyer may have a different opinion. Litigation needs at least 2 parties and neither goes to court expecting to lose.

Nonetheless, one of them does, even though they have been told by their respective legal advisers that they have a good chance of success.

If there was a black-and-white answer to every legal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed to court.

The ultimate decision comes from a county court judge in a civil case or from the magistrate in a criminal case heard in the magistrates court or the jury in Crown Court.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.