How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3482
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I am living with an abusive husband and i need some advice

Customer Question

i am living with an abusive husband and i need some advice about the company finances we own together
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: bristol
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing i want advice
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: we have two children together
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
We have had a company together for 9 years and when we got our business bank account it was only opened in my name due to his nationality at the time. We never changed that and i have always been the one paying salaries etc as per my function within the company. Our relationship has gone sour and now when he has behaved in a terrible way in front of me and the kids and was just about to walk out of the door he turns around and says he wants me to transfer the business bank account into his name , which potentially will take days if at all possible…but what I want to know is should I do it or am I leaving myself open to get nothing back afterwards, as it is very likely that he will leave the country perhaps back to Iran or anywhere else. I equally don’t want to be liable for him defaulting on any payments we are legally required to make on behalf of the company. We are both directors in a 70:30 split in his favour.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 19 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for the question and I am sorry to hear about this matter.  These are really two separate issues.  Firstly, I you are in an abusive relationship there are many organisations who can assist you and the children if you require immediate help.   The citizens advice bureau will be able to assist in signposting some local organisations who can help.  In terms of the business, as a director you have a legal fiduciary duty to protect the company.  If you have a legitimate concern that the account could be emptied, or the money could be use for him to leave the country then you would performing a disservice if you were to hand it over to him.  In that case, I would keep the account in your name,  however, you must ensure that the business expenses, salaries etc. are paid as they should be.  I would then look at instructing a soldier, you can get your husband to provide a legal undertaking that he will or will not perform certain actions.  If the was to then breach this undertaking you can take legal action remedy the matter.  I would do this quickly as he may take action to try and have ether account handed over to him, which could potentially jeopardise you're business and income.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.