james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I was filmed whilst driving a public service vehicle back in

Customer Question

I was filmed whilst driving a public service vehicle back in April 2016 struggling to stay awake and I had been pressured to come back to work too soon from a broken arm. 7 months after I was filmed the Sandilands Crash happened involving another driver. One week after this event the video of me was sold to the Sun newspaper and the video was all lover the internet and all over the news. I lost my job 3 months later and was given compensation from my former employers as a settlement, but do I have a case against the Sun newspaper and the person that filmed me and destroyed my life in the process. Me and my family are so poor now, I struggle to fed my family
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Orpington,Kent but when this happened to me i was living in Croydon
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing as i don't know if i can do anything against the sun and the person that filmed me as i am very poor now
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I can't think of anything at the moment
Expert:  james bruce replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
thank you for your response
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'm so poor I can't even afford the £44

Very sorry to hear what happened, it must have been very upsetting for you.

Unfortunately, if a person filmed you in a public place driving such a vehicle and falling asleep or struggling to stay awake, there is no offence there by what they have done.

They could be seen as opportunist for selling the video to the newspaper.
The news paper would most likely have used the material in a public interest way to show up the employer and possibly the standard of driver etc that the employer were using. Sorry to say, but a public interest story and freedom of the press would mean you have no case against them and certainly not 5 years later.

If you had any claim it would be against the employer and and working conditions you were subjected to. However, they have already paid compensation to you.

So I am very sorry to say, that as hard as this may be, you have no claim to make against these people, sorry.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.