How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8103
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I'm writing on behalf of a friend. She lives in quite a run

Customer Question

I'm writing on behalf of a friend. She lives in quite a run down estate in Cambridge, owns her little house, but next door is rented. I traced the landlord through the land registry because tree roots are damaging the foundations of my friend's house. The landlord hasn't responded to the letters of a surveyor who has written to explain. What can be done?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No I haven't spoken to a lawyer. My friend lives on benefits as she has long-term mental illness. This is Cambridge in England.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The surveyor has sent letters.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No more that I can tell you now. I can always ask my friend for more information.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 14 days ago.


I am a solicitor.

I would advise you to report this to the council and also get a local tree surgeon to come and see if the roots of the tree may be cut back to the boundary line to stop them damaging your friend's property.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you. Which department at the council should Penny write to? I assume you mean the City Council. The tree surgeon is a good thought. I wondered that myself but wasn't sure how much work can be done without the landlord's permission. But I will let my friend know.
Good wishes. Marianne
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I won't call you at the moment, but take it step by step. Can I call you if the tree surgeon can't do the necessary work? If that produces no result I will ask for telephone advice. Thank you.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 13 days ago.

You are welcome Marianne.

The environmental health division of the council may be able to help.

Legally, the roots may be cut back to the boundary line as long as it doesn't make the tree topple or damage it.

All the best