Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

Can an invoice be raised by a different group company from

Customer Question

Can an invoice be raised by a different group company from the one with whom the customer has the contract?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: X UK ltd has a contract with Y UK LTD. X UK LTD is incorporated in an Irish holding. Can Irish holding invoice Y UK ltd ( on behalf of X UK ltd?) Irish holding does not have a direct contract with Y UK LTD.
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: none, exploring
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

Hi there,

As , X UK Ltd company has a contract with Y UK ltd . only Y UK can invoice and recover it from the X UK ltd company . The other Irish company has no locus standi here to invoice the X company and to recover it .

I trust this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
hi Vineet, there is a misunderstanding in reading my question. Company X (UK LTD) belongs to an Irish holding. Company X has a contract with company Y ( UK ltd). Can an Irish holding invoice (on behalf of Company X) company Y? Are there issues from a legal perspective with sending invoices from a different company group to the one with which the customer has its contract? The question is assuming that their customers haven't explicitly agreed to receive invoices from the other company in the supplier's group. When the different companies are located in different jurisdictions does this give rise to any other legal issues?
Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

Hi there,

As Company X has contract with Company Y .

Now the Irish holding company only invoice company Y , only if the contract between X and Y allows so , ( Any holding company of Y can invoice and recover the debts of Y)

The contracted companies have to rely on the agreed jurisdiction clause in their contract.

The dispute can only be taken to the courts of agreed jurisdiction as per their contract.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
only if the contract between X and Y allows so - there is no invoicing or entities mentioned in the contract ( contract was perhaps too simple) , there is no agreed jurisdiction
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Any holding company of Y can invoice and recover the debts of Y) - do you mean Any holding company of Xcan invoice and recover the debts of Y?
Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

If the contract is silent on this point, then holding party can not recover the debt of Y .

Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

As X and Y both are UK registered companies, UK courts will have jurisdiction to any dispute arising out of their contract.